Are you lowering your gas mileage up to 33% without even realizing it? Learn how to avoid lowering your gas mileage, and what you can do to increase it.
What’s Lowering Your Fuel Efficiency:
- Aggressive driving can lower your gas mileage by 33% on the highway and 5% around town.
- Carrying an extra 100 pounds can lower your gas mileage by 2%
- Most cars become less fuel efficient at speeds over 60 mph
- Loading your roof rack can lower your fuel efficiency by 5%
How to Increase Your Fuel Efficiency:
- Keep your tires inflated to increase efficiency by 3%
- Using the manufacturer’s recommended grade of motor oil can increase gas mileage 2%
- Use cruise control on highways
- Get regular tune-ups to prevent problems that can significantly reduce fuel efficiency
- Combine your errands into one long trip instead of several short trips to cut your fuel use by up to 50%
- When possible, use High Occupancy Vehicle lanes (HOV) for cars with multiple passengers